Friday 10 March 2017

Movie Review:GINGERDEAD MAN VS. EVIL BONG

Gingerdead Man vs Evil Bong



I don't normally review movies that haven't come out recently at the cinema or on Blu-ray / DVD, but with 2013's Gingerdead Man vs. Evil Bong I'm making an exception. How can I watch such a thing and not write about it?

I saw the original Gingerdead Man movie a few years ago, and for some strange reason it recently jumped back into my brain and I ended up searching for it on Amazon. To my amazement, it has spawned a series of sequels that I didn't know existed. I've been missing out for all these years! I decided to check out Gingerdead Man vs Evil Bong first simply because the trailer looked ludicrous and I was in the right mood for it at the right time. Besides, I don't think continuity is of massive concern with these movies.

Gingerdead Man vs Evil Bong is the result of two franchises being brought together, a bit like Freddy vs. Jason but on a significantly smaller budget and with protagonists that are...well...a bit shit.

(Minor spoiler alert- btw if you're concerned about spoilers when it comes to a movie such as this, you need your head examined)
The story is about The Gingerdead Man's desire to kill Sarah Leigh,who was the sole survivor of the original movie. She's opening a bakery close to the bong shop owned by Larnell from the Evil Bong movies. Larnell has the evil bong known as Eebee  tied up and gagged in the backroom, but along the way, a stoner guy called Rabbit releases her. Meanwhile, Larnell brings Sarah Leigh to his shop to show her round in the hope of creating some synergy between their businesses based on his customers getting the munchies. The Gingerdead Man has followed them in, and they all end up meeting Eebee, AKA The Evil Bong. Some people die. Everyone gets high.

A huge issue I have with this movie is that a chunk of it comprises of flashbacks from previous movies. Having only seen the original Gingerdead Man, and that was some time ago, it didn't bother me so much. However, someone who is a die-hard fan of the franchises may be a little annoyed by this. The movie is only 80mins long anyway, so spending a cut of this effectively re-watching scenes from other films seems like a lazy cop-out. Aside from that, I thought it was great. Seriously!

I've seen plenty of low budget ridiculous Horror/Comedy movies in my life, and most of them suffer from the same problems. Poor actors, poor dialogue and poor pacing. There's nothing worse than a film that drags to the point that you just wish it would end. A film maker can get away with a dodgy story line and shoddy special effects if the actors, dialogue and pacing are good. Fortunately, Gingerdead Man vs Evil Bong doesn't suffer from such issues, and the genuinely talented actors, funny dialogue and fast pacing of the movie make it an enjoyable watch.

"We just wanna get so high our future great grandchildren are like... disappointed!"

Gingerdead Man vs Evil Bong is absolutely the piece of shit that I had hoped it would be. If you want to switch your brain off for 80mins and watch a Horror/Comedy that falls into the 'so bad it's good' category, this one comes highly recommended.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig