Friday 29 September 2017

Album Review: VINCE RIPPER AND THE RODENT SHOW - Planet Shockorama

Vince Ripper And The Rodent Show - Planet Shockorama

01. Planet Claire (The B52's cover)
02. Teenagers From Mars (Misfits cover)
03. 7 And 7 Is (Love cover)
04. Outer Limits
05. The Invasion Is Coming (The Invasion cover)
06. I Can't Find My Mind (The Cramps cover)
07. Silver Machine (Hawkwind cover)
08. Rocket U.S.A (Suicide cover)
09. Love Me (Jerry Lott cover)
10. The Blob (The Five Blobs cover)
11. Mystery Plane (The Cramps cover)
12. Flying Saucers Rock And Roll (Billy Riley cover)
13. EST, Trip To The Moon (Alien Sex Fiend cover)
14. Scary Monsters (David Bowie cover)

I'm fairly new to the insane world of Vince Ripper and The Rodent Show, and this, their third studio album, is my first proper introduction to them. The band, if a band is what they even are, is a duo featuring DJ Vince Ripper, and front-man Andrew 'Ratfink' Wilson, who has also been a member of the legendary Goth band Alien Sex Fiend.

Planet Shockorama is made up of covers, all following a theme of Science Fiction B-Movies. It all sounds fairly raw and 'trashy', but it's very listenable and most importantly entertaining. What it lacks in budget and finesse, it makes up for in passion, unashamed ridiculousness, and mountains of fun. This album has a lot of character, and these crazy takes on cult classics give the songs a new bizarre charisma, that I'm sure will become even more apparent when brought into their live show (which I've heard is amazing, by the way).

My favourite tracks on here are The Blob, Teenagers From Mars, and an amazing version of David Bowie's Scary Monsters. What I really enjoyed about Planet Shockorama is how refreshing it was to listen to. I often hear new bands that sound very similar to existing artists, and recently I've been listening to a lot of new albums that, whilst enjoyable, make me feel like I've heard it all before. This one sounds like it's from another planet entirely (sorry for such a lame pun), and this kind of mad escapism is just what the doctor ordered.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig