Monday 4 December 2017

Album Review: THE RELENTLESS - American Satan (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)


01. Me Against the Devil
02. Hell Is For Children (Pat Benatar cover)
03. Let Him Burn
04. Nights in White Satin (The Moody Blues cover)
05. We Lose Control
06. Save a Prayer (Duran Duran cover)
07. Cadence of My Heart
08. Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode cover)
09. Forgive Me Mother
10. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) (Neil Young cover)

American Satan is a movie that was released in October 2017, about a young band called The Relentless, following their dreams in Los Angeles. They end up making a Faustian deal to ensure their success, but this comes at a price. It stars Metal's Andy Biersack (Black Veil Brides) and Ben Bruce (Asking Alexandria) as two of the band members.

I saw a trailer for the movie and it looked awesome. The music sounded great too. Unfortunately, it hasn't been released outside of America yet, but the second it does, I'll be on it!

Initially, I thought "Fuck! Andy Biersack has never sounded so good!" Then the penny dropped. He's just the actor. The singer is actually Remington Leith from the band Palaye Royale. The Relentless, although credited as the artist on the soundtrack, is an imaginary band anyway, so who cares? He sounds amazing, regardless.

The music harks back to the 'over the top' Heavy Metal soundtracks from 80's Horror movies, but with an Industrial sheen, coupled with a Nu-Metal heaviness that allows this record to tread that magical line between retro and contemporary. This is also compounded by a number of the tracks being classic covers, which are all given a modern twist, but retain the qualities that made them great the first time round.

The whole album is really good, but were I forced to pick favourites, I'd go for Me Against The Devil, and the haunting renditions of Nights In White Satin and Hey Hey, My My, which are nothing short of superb.

The American Satan soundtrack is a surprisingly magnificent release, and is up there with The Crow, The Lost Boys, and Suck. I really hope that the movie is as good as the music. I'll let you all know in due course.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig